Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue

Busy life has begun. Here I sit in a prop rocking chair rocking my stress away on the stage at work before rehearsal starts. I figured I needed to get my creative funny juices moving, therefore, I have a story to tell.

Once upon a time there was a day called Columbus Day. This is a lovely holiday for teachers because they receive the day off: the day off to do whatever they want to do. Usually getting caught up on work. This particular Columbus day, I had talked Will in to staying home from hunting. We both lazily woke up...ok I lazily woke up on that Monday morning. We discussed what we would do for the day. What should we do? I suggested bike riding in Las Colinas. There is a great trail out there and I felt like doing something active on such a beautiful day. I thought that he agreed, but before I could get off the phone with my dad asking about the bikes, Will had called some guy about dove hunting and had reserved a dove hunt that evening. Not even that evening...like 3:30. It was currently 12:00. There was no way we could go bike riding now.

Communication error: Will thought I was joking about bike riding. I thought he was joking about hunting. Joke is on me.

When I realized that he wasn't joking and that we really were going dove hunting that afternoon, I needed some support. I immediately text Christin.  She is out in Abilene and would usually be my out at a time like this. Much like Brandon or Josh would be when I suggest a night at the ballet.


Her response:
So we did what any young professional couple in the city does on a day off, we went dove hunting. BUT FIRST! We must start the trip off right. I needed to return some pants to Gap. So, I traded my bike ride for a trip (a very quick trip) to the mall. But on the way back we somehow ended up at Academy because I "needed" camo to wear. Apparently, my pink siggie sing song shirt is too bright for the birds. I was thinking of myself as more of a beautifully large flower than a camoflauge mound of person. So I walked out of Academy with a camo pullover and pink earplugs for my delicate womanly ears.


But don't worry my friends. We sure did stop by Rudy's to get BBQ before we hit the road.


So we are driving, driving, driving. Past Fort Worth, Past Burleson....into Godly, Texas. Yes there is a Godly, Texas.


We meet some guy at a shell gas station and he takes us to his land. We saw 1 bird. Will shot 1 bird. We were there five hours.


I get really restless and fidgety when hunting, plus, I had to go to the bathroom and wasn't about to rough it. So I suggested we play a game of pass and play words with friends. We got two turns in and Will gave up.


Here Will is living out his hunting show. He was giving me a whisper play by play of what was going on.



A man and his dog.


The bird he killed.

  
Copper wanting to eat the bird he killed.


But don't you worry! We finished a good evening off with a good ole fashioned Captain D's dinner. A picture from my youth. There used to be one in Irving and we would frequent the establishment. There used to be coloring contests there all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment