Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Slurpee? Radical? Slurpee? Dude?

Name that movie?

Well it has been about 1-0-bazillion in Texas this past week. What better way to quench my thirst than a QT slurpee or whatever they are called at QT. For all you non North Richland Hills people, QT is the new 7-11. I had been running a few errands Wednesday or Thursday... I do not remember, my days are running together. The only thing that separates them is my to do list and when it is time to go to bed.



I had been running a few errands for Will and was headed to his office with his late lunch. When all of the sudden like a little kid I had a huge hankering for a slurpee. I was driving down I-20 and dangerously searching on my phone the nearest QT. Duh Kelsie, guess which one came up as the closest one? The one a block from my house I pass probably 10 times a week. Smart one. So I pull up and park my car. As I am getting out of the car I spot two nine/ten year olds and one of their little brothers running in to the QT with a few bills in their hand. I automatically think..."This has potential to be a blog post." And my experience was nothing short.

I walk in and my slurpee sensor goes off and directs me to the wall of "Frozen Drinks" on my left. I wait for the man in front of me to get his DP or whatever and pick my size of cup. Should I get the kid size with the animals or should I be an adult and get the 22 oz. I go ahead and pick the 22 oz. It's one thing that I am BY myself and getting a slurppee in the middle of the day. I don't need characters on my cup. I head over to the wall of flavors. But what darts infront of me? Those kids. So here I am, 24 year old teacher, contemplating my sewercide slurpee with two nine year olds and a seven year old. I get my watermelon/strawberry/kiwi/banana something slurpee and look for the lids and straws. I turn around and spot the kids getting their lids to their giant cokes at the counter behind me. I follow suit. The CHOICES! I ponder. Do I want a dome lid? Do I want a flat lid? And dag nabbit if I had gotten that kids cup with the giraffe and elephant on it I could have gotten a special lid AND straw! I guess I'll settle for this flat lid and a cheap bland red straw. I get my blue flat lid and put it on my slurpee. I think my slurpee grew because as soon as I attempted to even get close with my lid the slurpee exploded its strawberry/kiwi self all over the counter. Whoops. Even that nine year old had better judgement about his slurpee. He's a regular I guess. So I quickly look around and clean up my mess. The dumb idiot I am, I try again. Like maybe it had oozed to its potential and it would stop. Nope. It exploded again! So now I have half the slurpee I started with, my hands are sticky and I've used half of the napkin bin infront of me. I tried one more time to put the lid on but low and behold it happened again. After the third time I gave up and got the boring clear plastic dome lid. I looked around for fun 7-11 straws. You know the neon ones with the "spoons" on the bottom? But apparently QT has not been in the slurpee business long enough to understand the correct utensils used to eat a slurpee. I picked up my boring straw, cleaned up my mess once more and headed to the counter to pay my 1.16 for my drink to the 18 year old manager. I went to my car and throughly enjoyed my beverage and so did those 9 year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment